Friday, December 13, 2013

25 Days of Christmas Drawing Challenge: Day 13: Music Video inspired Comic- rough roughs

So today I did a couple of thumbnails for the story. With this process the layout and shot calls tend to be different in the final pages, but as rough as it is it helps me to set a pace.

Usually when I'm given a prompt and a set number of pages I tend to cram panels, but this story is very slow and uses the eastern storytelling approach where it shows, moments and parts of the surrounding. For instance a close up of dew on blades of grass is just as important of a story telling element as the characters that will run past it. While the latter is the obvious indicator of the action and progression of the story, stopping to show the moment before they past, slows down time and also can inform the reader  of the temperature  and time of day.

At the very beginning my roughs look like this and tomorrow they will tighten up, before I drop them into manga studio to work out perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment