Thursday, December 5, 2013

25 Days of Christmas Drawing Challenge: Day 5 - Collaborative Pitch

Guess who has their scanner fixed!!!!

Previous post of traditional imagery will now be updated, so if you missed those you can go back.

Today was day five. So I spent 5 hours working on a collaboration project with a one of my peers. Essentially its his concept, writing, and ideas, and I am basically the one who visualizes it all.

At the moment I won't reveal current artwork until we have the pitch packet ready. I guess this is more of a regular me day. I'm actually working on this at some point everyday in addition to the challenges.


I feel that I am cheating you all at the moment, but I would like to take some time to talk about how these challenges have been....

Essentially they are challenging. Things that I would normally take more than I day to work, I am trying to complete in under a day. In my head I tell myself, "Oh this should only take 8 hours!!," which is a typical work day, but I probably spend a good 4 mapping things out, prelim sketching, trying to get the ideal idea, before starting the final piece. Then there's life I must address outside of my room. I'd probably equate each person I interact with as a hour I'm not working on a challenge.

Not trying to sound like a recluse, but I kind of understand why some of my other art peers literally make Facebook announcements to tell the world they are leaving society for the moment to draw and cannot hangout, eat or talk to you. Not via Facebook apparently, but in real life.

The pros and cons with this I suppose be as follows:

Pros- 
You have a good plan of execution.
You take the time to make sure you're happy with the idea, before wasting time and hating it.
No need to back track halfway through the project


Cons-
Despite long planning, in the end you still may not be satisfied. (Everything has room for improvement after all)
Deadline were never really your friend, but now they are your enemy.
Lose overall sight or generating as much as possible.
Too much nitpicking over things that will figure themselves out.


However at the end of the day the more time I spend doing prelim work the better I feel when attacking the task at hand. This is only the first week so I'm spreading out things and playing catch up with other... But in the end it's about not giving up or skipping a day and creating cool things along the way.


This is possibly the most bloggyish blog post I've done. The words just keep flowing, when I'm usually at a lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment